Dr Theresa Udenwa is not just a former First Lady of Imo State, but also a distinguished scholar, a passionate philanthropist, and a role model for many women in Nigeria. Here are some of the facts that you’d love to know about the wife of former Governor Achike Udenwa:
Dr. Theresa Udenwa: A Distinguished Scholar and Philanthropic Force
Dr. Theresa Udenwa isn’t just a former First Lady of Imo State; she’s a multifaceted personality, revered scholar, and dedicated philanthropist. Here are some captivating facets of her life:
- Academic Prowess: Dr. Udenwa boasts an impressive academic background with four degrees across various disciplines. She initiated her educational journey with a degree in Economics from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in 1980. This was followed by a Masters in Business Administration and Finance from the University of Port Harcourt in 1989. Subsequently, she earned another Masters in Economics from the same university in 1996. Her academic journey reached its zenith with a PhD in Banking and Finance from the Rivers State University of Science and Technology in 2007.
- Academic Stint: For 18 years, from 1981 to 1999, Dr. Udenwa served as a lecturer at the Rivers State University of Science and Technology. Her expertise spanned courses such as Monetary Economics, International Finance, Financial Management, and Banking Theory and Practice. Additionally, she supervised numerous undergraduate and postgraduate research projects and dissertations, leaving an indelible mark on her students.
- Academic Leadership: Currently, Dr. Theresa Udenwa serves as the Head of the Department of Banking and Finance at Nasarawa State University. Since joining the faculty in 2010, she has exhibited excellence and dedication in leading the department. Her involvement extends to various academic activities, including curriculum development, quality assurance, and active participation in research and publications.
- Philanthropic Ventures: Dr. Udenwa is the visionary founder and chairperson of the Heartland Childcare Foundation. Established in 2000, this non-governmental organization is dedicated to empowering less privileged children and women in society. The foundation’s initiatives encompass scholarships, vocational training, healthcare, microfinance, and advocacy. Driven by compassion, the Heartland Childcare Foundation has positively impacted the lives of thousands of individuals across Imo State and beyond.
- Professional Affiliations and Accolades: Actively involved in professional spheres, Dr. Theresa Udenwa is a member of esteemed bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, the Nigerian Economic Society, the Nigerian Institute of Management, and the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. Her impactful contributions have earned her numerous awards and recognitions in the realms of education, community development, and public service.
In summary, Dr. Theresa Udenwa stands as a beacon of inspiration—a woman whose achievements resonate in both personal and professional realms. Her journey serves as a testament to the transformative power of education and the profound impact one can have through philanthropy and community service.